Post-Divorce Modification

Naperville, IL Post-Divorce Modification Lawyers

Serving Family Law Clients in DuPage County, Wheaton & Will County, IL

Court orders in effect after a divorce has been finalized can become unworkable as months or years pass. These orders are related to child support, child custody and visitation, and spousal support (alimony). The life or financial circumstances of the parties and/or their children can significantly change, leading to the need to modify these provisions to accommodate the new conditions. To modify these orders, it is necessary to go through the courts to ensure that they are legal and enforceable.

If you need to modify a family court order, you can turn to Kazmar Feely where you can entrust your case to a team of seasoned family law attorneys. Since 2004, we have been a stable resource in the area of family law issues and disputes of all kinds. Our team of highly-respected litigators can thoroughly prepare your case so that the court understands the necessity for modification or, conversely, your reasons for contesting it as the opposing party. With decades of experience practicing family law in the local courts, we put an abundance of knowledge and skill on your side as well as provide you with human support when issues are highly contentious. 

Book a complimentary consultation with a Naperville, IL post-divorce modification attorney by contacting Kazmar Feely through email or at (630) 206-9550.

"Highly recommend both Mr. Kazmar and Ms. Feely. Each was instrumental in allowing me to maintain sanity in a very difficult and stressful family situation. Reliable and trustworthy. Really took care of my needs in a contested custody situation."
Post-Decree Modifications in Illinois

When a marriage is dissolved, some of the provisions in the final judgment can be modified and others cannot. The provisions related to marital property division are generally nonmodifiable. In contrast, the provisions related to the allocation of parental responsibility (commonly referred to as child custody), child support, and support for children after they attain majority, are modifiable. These modifications are based upon a substantial change in circumstances. Court orders for spousal support are also generally modifiable. 

 Illinois courts recognize that the above issues have a dynamic character, consistent with the changing quality of our lives. If there is a substantial change in the circumstances from when the court originally decided the issue, or when you and your former spouse reached an agreement, the court can modify the prior ruling.

Examples of changed circumstances that may merit a post-judgment modification include:

  • One former spouse has lost his or her job
  • One former spouse is earning significantly more than he or she was at the time of divorce
  • One former spouse is cohabitating or has remarried
  • One parent refuses to follow the custody terms
  • One parent wishes to relocate or has relocated and the relocation significantly impacts the child’s best interest
  • The child’s needs have changed
  • A parent’s circumstances have changed
  • Child endangerment exists
  • The child’s wishes/desires have changed
  • One parent has issues with drugs and/or alcohol
  • One parent engages in parental alienation
  • One parent cannot co-parent

Where child endangerment is present, the modification may need to be sought on an emergency basis. 

Why Choose Kazmar Feely for Your Modification Case

When in need of representation in a modification case, you will have the advantage of our extensive knowledge and proven track record in getting the results you expect in these proceedings. Our team has earned a reputation for excellence in Illinois family law in the Chicagoland area. We understand that we are your voice in the complex processes of the family court system; we take our responsibility seriously in acting as the strong advocates you need in pursuing your goals. 

Contact Us & Get the Peace of Mind You Need

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.